Happy Saturday, friends! Hope this week has treated you well and that you are enjoying the weekend.
Get a load of these awesome brownies! They are made with wholesome ingredients that include cacao, pecans, dates, coconut, and sweet potatoes. Oh. my. gosh. These are so smooth, decadent, and are the most moist brownies I have ever had. My brownies standards are definitely higher after making this brownie batch. This icing is amazingly chocolaty and delicious. There’s no turning back now!
Ever since I made the decision to eat healthier, I started to notice that I have more energy than usual. It definitely helped me get through this past week, which felt like a long and hectic one even if it was a 4-day work week. In celebration of the week’s end, I thought I would make these brownies as a treat to myself. So funny, that just reminded me of the tv show, Parks and Recreation. More specifically, the episode when Donna and Tom have their annual “Treat Yo’ Self Day.” It’s hilarious. We all need that day sometimes. This brownie recipe would fit in well on that day. 🙂
Treat yo’ self!
Pecan, Dates & Sweet Potato Brownies
+ 1 large sweet potato, peeled
+ 2 cups ground oats
+ 1 cup ground pecans
+ 1 cup pitted dates, presoaked in water
+ 7 tbsp. maple syrup (grade A)
+ 8 tbsp. raw cacao powder
+ 2 tbsp. coconut oil
+ 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
+ 1/8 tsp. pink himalayan salt
+ 2 tbsp. raw cacao powder
+ 2 tbsp. pecan butter
+ 2 tbsp. coconut oil
+ 2 tbsp. maple syrup (grade A)
+ 1/2 cup raw coconut flakes
+ blender or food processor
+ 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan
+ collapsible metal strainer
+ parchment paper
- Set and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take pits out of dates, then presoak dates in a bowl of water for at least 30 minutes.
- Peel and dice the sweet potato.
- Place a collapsible metal strainer or a colander into a large pot filled with at least 1 cup of water to steam the diced sweet potatoes in.
- Bring water in the pot to a boil and place lid on pot and let the sweet potatoes steam for 20 to 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Pour pecans into a food processor or blender and process until the pecans are have a powder consistency. Do not over mix or it will turn into a nut butter. Pour ground pecans into a large mixing bowl. (Tip: You could add an additional 1 cup of pecans to the food processor or blender to make the pecan butter after you have made the ground pecan mixture.)
- Pour oats into the food processor or blender, then process well until the oats have a powder consistency. Pour ground oats into the bowl of ground pecans.
- After the sweet potatoes are done steaming and are tender, pour them into a food processor or blender.
- Drain the water from the bowl of soaked dates, then pour dates into the food processor or blender.
- Process or blend the sweet potato and dates until the mixture is smooth and well incorporated.
- After processing the dates and sweet potato mixture, add the rest of the ingredients and process until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Line an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Pour brownie mixture into the baking pan, then evenly spread the brownie mixture with a spatula.
- Place baking pan on the middle to lower level metal rack inside the preheated oven and bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes. Rotate baking pan at the halfway mark to cook all brownies evenly.
- After brownies are fully baked, remove the baking pan with brownies and place on a metal cooling rack for at least 15 to 30 minutes or until fully cooled.
- Heat all the icing ingredients in a saucepan until the mixture has fully melted. Stir constantly to prevent mixture from sticking.
- Place mixture in the freezer for at least 15 minutes or until the mixture has slightly thickened. Do not place too long or the mixture will harden. If that happens, just reheat ingredients in the saucepan, then repeat cooling process in the freezer.
How to assemble brownies:
- After icing mixture has cooled slightly. Pour the chocolate icing onto the cooled brownies.
- With a spatula or the back of a spoon, evenly spread the chocolate icing onto the brownies, then sprinkle the coconut flakes on top for added flavor and texture.
- Cut the brownies into squares, then eat and enjoy! ❤